Lying in bed, I squint to see slits of sun squeezing through the curtain’s crevasse. It feels late, but it doesn’t matter. There are no alarms today. No one wakes up with a panicked glance towards the clock. It’s Saturday. This is the most peaceful morning of the week. Jesse stirs and rolls over to place a sleepy arm around my middle and I shut out the ever rising sun for a few more minutes.
Last night was not peaceful. On our bike ride home from the
baseball game, a cloud of dread passed over me and followed us home. We’ve
almost been here a month and I can’t wait to leave. I don’t know how to make it
here and I don’t know if I can survive two years. The town where we live is a
modest place nestled in the midst of the Rocky Mountains .
If you make a complete turn, you will see mountains jutting into the sky from
every angle.
I met with a dear woman from Jesse’s church this past week.
We got together for coffee at 10 am and I left her at 1 pm. Leah confessed to
me, that the mountains do feel suffocating at times. She often escapes to Kalispell MT
for the wide open spaces and the sun. Here it can get grey and gloomy. The
clouds settle around the peaks and block out the light. I told Leah how I
wanted to hike to the top of every mountain here. It’s not that I’m an avid
hiker or that I love the mountains; I need to crest each of their peaks so that
the mountains don’t own me. Then when I bike to the store with a mountain in my
face I can say, “I’ve conquered you. You don’t have anything on me.”
I am used to feeling restless: I almost always do. When I
worked at the Salon I immediately started saving. I wanted at least $10,000 so
that I could do anything. Last September when things were getting unbearable, I
started searching for an escape. I looked up program after program: the peace
core (need a degree), teaching English as a second language (need a degree),
staying at a monastery in France
(have to have visited before you can apply for a long term stay), Iris Ministries
in Mozambique …
I’m always looking for an escape. Last night I read my friend Jessa’s blog. She
is about to go on The Amazing Race: 11 countries in 11 months. I was so
envious. I want to see 11 countries in 11 months and back-pack my way around
the globe! But I’m here, surrounded by rock, and trapped between American
citizenship and Canadian Permanent Residency, without even the luxury of
dreaming for an escape.
Did I mention that I love my husband? Now would probably be
a good time to remind you that I am married to the best man I know. He can see
the gold in this town: the beauty that shines out from the people and the
places that surround us. All I see is grey mountains. When I left Leah and the
coffee shop the other day, she said, “God told me to see this place as His nest
for me.” Her words stuck. We are in a bowl, a nest of sorts in this valley. I
mentioned Leah’s words to my friend Lori on the phone a day later. “That
reminds me of bald eagles and their nests.” I looked up Bald Eagles. Apparently
they build some of the largest nests of any bird. Most nests start 2 ft deep
and 5 ft wide but continue to expand year after year. The largest nest every
found was 20 ft deep and 9.5 ft across and weighed 3 short tons!!! (According
to Wikipedia)
In my understanding the whole point of a nest is to nourish
and protect and equip young birds with everything they need before they take
that first, terrifying flight. Instead of seeing my new home as a hindrance to
adventure or a trap, I will try to view these mountains as a nest: a temporary
place of rest and refreshment before that first flight. Bald Eagles come back
to their nests year after year. Similarly, Jesse and I may come back, or leave
our home for someone else to inhabit.
But today, on our magical Saturday, we are cozy and safe. After
waking up leisurely, Jesse is sprawled out on the couch re-reading the Hobbit,
while I am curled up in our love seat next to the window. I sip my coffee and
look out at the mountains jutting into a sunny blue sky.



Hi, Emily,
ReplyDeleteYou mom is here in Florida, helping move Grandma to assisted living. She told me about your blog. I love it! And the photos are wonderful. Thanks for sharing. Say "hi" to Jesse, too.
Hugs, Auntie Carol